21st Biennial Conference on
University Of North Texas, Denton, TX 1-5 August 2010
"A New Decade For Opportunity"
Click to download a Workshop Rules and Guidelines in
Rules and Guidelines for Leading a Workshop a the 21st BCCE
- All workshop leaders and co-leaders must be registered for the 21st BCCE.
- All workshop participants must be registered for the 21st BCCE.
- In order for a workshop leader to be reimbursed for the expenses associated with delivering the workshop, the workshop leader must submit receipts for materials, etc. to the 21st BCCE committee by NOON, 5 August 2010. Workshop leaders may not charge the 21st BCCE or their workshop participants expenses associated with the leader's travel, lodging, food or the BCCE registration fee. Workshop leaders will not be reimbursed by the 21st BCCE for any of these or other personal expenses.
- Workshop leaders are responsible for arranging for all of the materials (hand-outs, activities, etc.) necessary for the workshop to arrive in the Department of Chemistry at the University of North Texas by July 16, 2010 - two weeks prior to the start of the BCCE. Workshop materials need to be sent to the following address: University of North Texas, Dr. Diana Mason, Department of Chemistry, 1155 Union Circle #305070, Denton, TX 76203 5017. We recommend that you send material using Registered U.S. mail, FedEx, or UPS so you can track the package yourself.
- Workshop leaders are responsible for arranging for all materials (handouts, activities, etc.) leftover from the workshop to be shipped back to their institution, home, company, etc. Please have pre-paid US Mail, UPS, FEDEX, etc. mailing labels prepared prior to coming to the 21st BCCE. Materials left at the University of North Texas will be discarded.
- Workshop leaders are responsible for the preparation of all materials (hand-outs, activities, etc.) necessary for the workshop. The 21st BCCE will provide a preparation area. The workshop preparation area will be available on Saturday, July 31, 2010 from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. We will post hours of operations of this room for other days of the 21st BCCE. If you need to make copies of handouts there is a 24-hour FedEx-Kinko’s at 2430 South Interstate 35 East, Denton, TX 76205-4986 near campus. Workshop leaders are responsible for leaving the room they used in good, clean condition at the end of their workshop.
- If a workshop involves chemicals, workshop leaders are responsible for the preparation and proper disposal of all chemicals necessary for the workshop. The 21st BCCE will provide a chemical preparation area for you to prepare your chemicals. We will provide student help and we will provide consultation with our chemical demonstrator. The workshop chemical preparation area will be available on Saturday, July 31, 2010 from 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. We will post hours of operations of this room for other days of the 21st BCCE. There will be a mandatory chemical safety meeting for all leaders on Saturday, July 31, 2010. Common laboratory glassware, equipment, & preparation materials will be available for your use. For example, balances, common general chemistry glassware, deionized water, paper towels, 6 M HCl, 6 M NaOH, acetone, ethanol, etc. If you provide us with a list of materials and equipment needed well in advance of the workshops, we will TRY to accommodate your request. Workshop leaders will follow the same rules and guidelines for working with chemicals as the chemical demonstrators. If a workshop leader needs an expensive or unusual chemical AND, if UNT stockroom has it available, the chemical may be purchased from the UNT stockroom. The item will be charged to the BCCE and will be deducted from your reimbursement request. The Chemistry Department stockroom will possibly be open on Saturday afternoon during the BCCE workshop preparation.
- Workshop leaders working with chemicals will attend a mandatory Chemical Safety and Chemical Disposal meeting Saturday evening.
- If a workshop involves loading a computer program and or downloading plug-ins, the software and a copy of the license must be sent to the Department of Chemistry at UNT by May 1, 2010. Send your software to: University of North Texas, David Hrovat, Department of Chemistry, 1155 Union Circle #305070, Denton, TX 76203 5017. Please do not have us violate any copyright laws if you need to run individual programs on our computers. Either have a site license or legal copies for all programs. Workshop leaders who are using computers, software, and multi-sync projectors should plan to arrive on campus by Saturday morning, July 31st, in order to test and trouble shoot their software, computers, and multi-sync projectors.
- Workshop leaders may wish to purchase supplies or materials from Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, Sears, Albertson’s, etc. The workshop leader is responsible for paying for the needed supplies.
- You will be informed of the day and time of your workshop by April 21, 2010. You will be informed of the number of registered participants for your workshop sometime shortly after June 15, 2010, when advance registration for the conference closes.
- The 21st BCCE committee will provide some student helpers to assist the workshop leaders with reasonable tasks associated with unloading equipment & materials, setting-up & taking down workshops, loading equipment and materials if a request is made to have student helpers. Carts will be provided.
- Every effort will be made to schedule workshops in rooms with complete AV suites - including multi-sync projectors. However, not all rooms available to the conference will have AV facilities. Therefore, we have had to make the decision to use some of our limited funds to rent multi-sync projectors, and the audio-visual service that supports them, for the simultaneous symposia sessions that occur from Sunday - Thursday of the conference. Unfortunately, this means we do not have the additional resources to provide multimedia support for workshops that will be held in our teaching laboratory rooms or small classrooms. If your workshop is scheduled in a lecture hall or classroom with a computer, DVD player, multi-sync projector, and internet connection, you will be informed that you can use these resources. Otherwise, the workshop organizers are responsible for a) bringing their own multi-sync projector and computer or borrowing this equipment from a colleague who will be attending the conference or b) paying the rental fee for the use of a multi-sync projector ($100 per day, includes service). You may build in the charge of the multi-sync projector in your workshop registration fee.